Local planning policy for the part of the National Park within Eden District is set out in the following documents:
- Eden Local Plan 2014-32, together with its Policies Maps, was adopted by the Authority on the 18th December 2018
- Cumbria Minerals & Waste Local Plan (2015-2030)
The Upper Eden Neighbourhood Plan (2012) forms part of the adopted development plan for the parishes of Mallerstang, Kirkby Stephen, Crosby Garrett, Nateby, Ravenstonedale, Soulby, Musgrave, Waitby and Wharton within the National Park.
A Neighbourhood Development Order has been made in respect of Carr House, Mallerstang. It permits the lawful reoccupation and extension of Carr House, Mallerstang as an off grid holiday letting business (limited to seven years) and then a dwelling for local occupancy.
Neighbourhood Planning Areas have also been designated in Asby, Crosby Ravensworth and Tebay but a Neighbourhood Plan has not yet been prepared for them.
There are a number of Supplementary Planning Documents and other planning guidance documents that apply in Eden District:
- Shopfront and Advertisement Design SPD (2006)
- An Accessible and Inclusive Environment SPD (2007)
- Housing SPD (2010)
- Management of Conservation Areas SPD (2011)
- Cumbria Wind Energy SPD (2007)
- Cumbria Landscape Character Guidance and Toolkit (2011)
- Farm Diversification Guidance (2005)
- The Eden Design Guide Summary (1999)