'Dales Volunteers' is the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority's network of around 200 volunteers. They provide the majority of the our voluntary support all year round.
They are a team of dedicated people who share an enthusiasm for the landscape, wildlife and heritage of the area and a love of the Yorkshire Dales in general. Read all about what it's like to be a Dales Volunteer by meeting some of our volunteers and reading about their experiences.
What do Dales Volunteers do?
Dales Volunteers is a long-term volunteering opportunity where people can get involved with a variety of work. These can include:
- Practical tasks to maintain and improve public paths.
- Patrolling popular routes and providing general support and advice for visitors to the National Park.
- Dry-stone walling on access and conservation related sites.
- Lengthsman tasks to monitor and carry out minor maintenance on busy paths.
- Carrying out path and bridge surveys.
- Planning and leading guided walks.
- Leading walks, giving talks or taking part in events for schools and other groups.
- Surveys on archaeological sites and historic buildings.
- Woodland monitoring and maintenance.
- Flower, wildlife and species surveys.
Dales Volunteers can get involved in any of the above depending upon their interests and experience. Activities may also vary depending on current Authority priorities.
How are the teams organised?
Volunteers are organised into area teams. Although volunteers can 'mix and match' a range of activities to suit their own interests, we expect all Dales Volunteers in the area teams to support our rangers in advising the public. Most area teams also expect volunteers to participate in route patrols.
Who are we looking for?
Our Dales Volunteers network is for people who:
- Can give at least 15 days per year (hopefully for several years!).
- Live within 35 miles of Grassington (BD23 5LB) or Stainforth (BD24 9PN) or within 40 miles of Aysgarth (DL8 3TH) or Hawes (DL8 3NT).
- Commit to attending induction days and a variety of training activities.
- Are aged 18 or over.
No previous experience or skills are necessary (though sometimes they can help!), but an interest in the National Park, a willingness to learn, get involved and be part of the team is essential.
How can I apply?
If you would like to find out more about joining a team of dedicated and highly motivated people who share an enthusiasm for the outdoors and a love of the Yorkshire Dales, please check out our current opportunities to see if we are currently recruiting.