Soaking up the atmosphere at a traditional annual agricultural show or gala is a Dales treat not to be missed.
Long at the heart of communities, many shows can be traced back well over a century and have their own distinct local traditions and rituals.
You’ll typically find livestock classes, home produce and hay bale competitions, walking stick carving and sheepdog trials, as well as a gruelling fell race straight up the local hillside and back - often set against the musical backdrop of a silver or brass band.
There will be plenty of delicious local food and drink to try. The day has always been a chance for isolated farming families to get together and share knowledge and experiences.
Some shows have more unusual celebrations and there are unique spectacles like the annual Hardraw Scaur Brass Band Festival, a music competition held outdoors against the backdrop of Hardraw Force waterfall and dating back to 1881.
Find out about these and more in 2019 in our events listing.
- August ~ Lunesdale Show
- 17 August 2019 ~ Gargrave Show
- 24 August 2019~ Wensleydale Show
- 24 August 2019 ~ Malham Show
- 26 August 2019 ~ Reeth Show
- 27 August 2019 ~ Kilnsey Show
- 08 September 2019~ Hardraw Scaur Brass Band Festival
- 23 September ~ Nidderdale Show
- 5 & 6 October 2019 ~ Masham Sheep Fair
- September ~ Moorcock Show
- September ~ Muker Show